From ESSFTA Awards Committee
The following changes to the Show Sire/Show Dam and Runner-Up Show Sire/Dam awards were approved by the Board of Governors at their August meeting held in conjunction with the 2002 ESSFTA Bench National. These changes will be in effect commencing January 1, 2003.
CHANGES TO THE SHOW SIRE / SHOW DAM OF THE YEAR; RUNNER-UP SHOW SIRE/DAM OF THE YEAR
The owner of any sire/dam that is eligible for the award by reason of having the most champion get within the award year must provide:
- A copy of a certificate from the Canine Eye Registration Foundation (CERF). The CERF certificate must be issued within fifteen months prior to the breeding of the youngest get that qualified the sire/dam for the award.
- A copy of a certificate from the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, Inc. (OFA) indicating a hip joint conformation of Fair, Good or Excellent issued prior to the breeding of the youngest get that qualified the sire/dam for the award.
- Verification of a contribution of blood sample of the eligible sire/dam to the ESSFTA DNA Bank. This must be submitted within 30 days of being notified of eligibility for the award. The administrators will make available a form to verify submission.
- Proof that the sire/dam is not “affected” for PFK (ie., “clear” or “carrier” status only). Required documentation may be either certifications from laboratories listed by the American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation as providing PFK testing or entry of all members of the last completely clear generation of the sire/dam's pedigree in either the Parent Club or OFA Open Registries for PFK.
In cases of frozen semen breeding, the following requirements will apply:
- If semen were frozen prior to the Board’s acceptance of the new criteria and the sire is no longer living, any of the previous outlined criteria as to CERF, OFA, DNA Bank and PFK available at the time of freezing should be supplied to the Awards Committee. Any other criteria will NOT apply.
- If semen were frozen prior to the Board’s acceptance of the new award criteria and the sire is still living, documentation of the CERF, OFA, DNA Bank and PFK requirements must be supplied to the Awards Committee within 30 days of notification of eligibility for the award.
- If semen is frozen after the Board’s acceptance of the new award criteria, documentation showing that ALL new requirements were met at the time of the first breeding from that semen must be provided to the Awards Committee within 30 days of notification of award status.
Howard Gallas, Chairperson